Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

What to do with leftovers from the Hexagon Quilt Along... a mini tutorial

Here is the block I made with some of my leftovers:



If you would like to make a block like this from your leftovers you can follow along here.

First take 12 of your leftover triangle hexie wedges and arrance them in a pleasing manner. To make the star put two of the long wedge pieces facing each other to make a diamond then make some more diamonds until you have six that go together in a nice design.

You will need to cut two 4 1/2 inch strips from your background fabric. I actually got almost all of it out of 1 strip. If you have a strip and a scrap, that you can cut one triangle out of, you can save on cutting the second strip.


Take one of your half hexies that is sewn together and use it as a pattern to cut a template. I used template plastic but you can just use paper if you want.


You will need 4 of these pieces for the block. This will go on your 4 1/2 inch strip. You can flip and cut just like you do with your triangles for the quilt along.


I like to use my ruler along the edge of the template so that I can rotary cut. Then cut 4 triangles from the strip and scrap/second strip. (Sorry no pic for that... just do it the same way you did for the quilt along)


Now lay out your rows. Here are rows 1 and 2.


Here are rows 3 and 4. Sew the rows together matching seams and ends.


When you are done it will look like this.

Lay your ruler on top of each of the sides and trim straight. Don't forget to make sure you have 1/4" seam allowance at the points.


TA DA! This would make a great quick bed size quilt. The block is 14x16 and being rectangle would be perfect for a twin size bed. I think it would be neat in Amish solids. Anyway.... hope you like.

You can find the tutorial for the quilt along as well as all of the amazing Julie's (Jaybird Quilts) tutorials here:

Psst. Come back next week for a give away.

4 comments:

Molly said...

Wow! I have TON of leftover triangles and this will be an awesome way to use them! I can't thank you enough for sharing this with everyone.

Anonymous said...

I also have a ton left over....& I have a couple that just did not make the cut for the original quilt.......Now I know what to do with them!
Thanks

Terriaw said...

I love this! A set of these blocks would make an awesome quilt! Thanks for sharing your process.

Sinta Renee said...

Aren't you smart! Great idea!